Saturday, January 2, 2016

Get sporty with a skorty!

Happy New Year, and we all know with a new year brings new resolutions! For many of us that consists of less stress, better food choices, and of course more exercise and gym time.

Have no fear, I'm here to help! I'm sure many of you are like me: you try on leggings at the store and between the thighs being tight, the elastic being scratchy and the horrible camel toe- not to mention the high price of performance brands - well you leave without ever buying a pair of leggings.

You know you want a pair of these epic, awesome, amazing, leggings though, right? I thought so!

Capri Length Sporty Leggings made with Riki Fabrics "fly away"


That's why I'm sharing with you- A SPARKLY BABY! Taryn the designer and thoughtful mind behind what is A sparkly baby has drafted an AMAZING skort pattern referred to as the "sporty skorty" (there are both Mama, and girl sizes. That's right, you can match!). 


sporty skorty, capri length, Riki Prints "Unicorn Toots"


In this post I'll be giving you tips and pointers on the "sporty leggings" what's that? Well, it's the pant, short, capri option of the under part of the sporty skorty. Ok I know, I probably lost a few of you in that explanation. But here it is in a break down:



The sporty skorty comes with three options, yes, that's right THREE options in ONE pattern! 

With the sporty skorty you get the options of:

  • A full skort (short, capri or pant length bottom layer, with a skirt over the top which share a waistband)
  • Sporty skirt (by itself)
  • Sporty leggings (the shorts, capri, or full length pant bottom layer, by itself)

sporty leggings, capri length,
black cotton lycra from Purpleseamstress



Sporty leggings are the perfect option for yoga, running, dancing, aerobics, basically anything you do at the gym sporty leggings can work for you!












sporty leggings, FULL length,
black cotton lycra from Purpleseamstress


Are you ready to jump in yet? Still a little nervous? Have no fear, Taryn has constructed her pattern so it's easy to follow and perfect for new seeamstress' and for those who are more advanced. 


You don't need any fancy tools to whip up a pair of these pants. A regular sewing machine with a stretch stitch, or a serger will work.




Personally I use a triple stitch on my machine (this stitch is 2 forward 1 back reinforced stitch). I've been wearing some of my leggings for as long as 7 months, with tons of washing and tons of wear I haven't had any problems yet. 



Which leads me to my next point:


(I made this picture bigger, because it is by far one of my FAVORITE pairs of sporty leggings!)




sporty leggings, full length, Riki Fabrics "Penguins" 

FABRIC!  We all know how much we love talking fabric! Have you had some custom knits you're not sure what to do with but you want to be able to wear them all the time? Leggings might be a good option. This pattern is designed for stretchy knits, for all of my pairs I have used 95/5 cotton lycra both solids and prints from multiple places (you can find more details on the fabrics for each pair in their captions). 


Now, what are you waiting for? Don't walk, RUN over to A sparkly baby and grab your sporty skorty pattern now! If you're a mom, aunty, grandma, or making skirts for someone with littles, grab the bundle and get both the mama sporty skorty and the girls sporty skorty all in one swoop!


Keep watch, I'll be following up with another post on just the skirt portion of the sporty skorty soon!

Happy New Year!

sporty skorty leggings (yellow), Kimmy Snabric
"Awareness Ribbons" hand dyed yellow for Endometriosis Awareness


Ready.Set.SEW!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thank you for such a great review. Now you make me want to make some LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here if you need any help! You won't regret it I promise! This pattern is one of my go tos, and by far a favorite!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Printing, laying out my fabric and getting ready to cut now! can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete