Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Lets have a tea party! (Hot Pad - full tutorial)

Who's ready to have a tea party? I know I am!


Today I'm going to share with you how to make your own hot pad! I used it above as my teapot mat! 

To make your own hot pad you will need:

1- 9"x9" square of front fabric
1- 9"x9" square of backing fabric
2-9"x9" squares of insul-brite batting

*I didn't have a 9"x9" piece of my front fabric that I wanted to use, so I cut 4, 1" strips that I sewed along all 4 sides to make my front square 9"x9" - this is why my front piece has a black border along the outside.*

*Insul-brite batting is a breathable material which reflects hot or cold temperatures back towards it's source. It's used in the center of the hot pad to keep heat from moving through. Insul-brite is heat *resistant* it is NOT heat proof so use it carefully and make sure to test before using it to pull out hot pans. Insul-brite can often be found in the interfacing, or in the utility fabrics section. If you can't find it ask at the cutting counter and they should be able to help!*


Start by making a hot pad sandwich! You're going to layer your materials starting with both layers of insul-brite, top fabric *right side up*, bottom fabric *right side down*


Pin or clip around your hot pad to keep all the layers in place, leaving a 1.5" opening on the bottom for turning.


Now we're going to stitch around our hot pad to secure all the layers. I would suggest stitching one side at a time to keep your fabrics from shifting. Use a 1/4" seam allowance and sew around all the sides, backstitching at the beginning and end to secure your stitching. Make sure you leave yourself the 1.5" turning hole on the bottom.


Clip your threads and your corners (just slightly make sure you don't clip your stitches), and turn your hot pad right side out through your turning hole. Using a chopstick or a turning tool poke out all 4 of your corners.


Turn your raw edges towards the inside and pin or clip in place.


Top stitch around the outside of your pad using a 1/8" seam allowance, making sure to catch your turning hole layers.


Clip your threads and your hot pad is finished!


Follow the post from last week on how to make your own coasters and you'll have an entire tea party set!



Ready.Set.Sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment